Sunday, March 16, 2008

year of the baby

Maybe it's the perscription drugs in our tap water, but it seems there are a lot of friends and family are having babies in 2008. In response, I've had to come up with some new crafty ways to welcome little people into the world.

I found a pattern for knitted booties in one of my books, but I didn't like the look. After modifying the pattern a bit, I think they turned out quite sweet. They are made from wool yarn, and then felted for a softer texture and more durability. Felting also tends to hide any woven ends and imperfections (I tried the pattern first with acrylic yarn and hated the results). The booties pictured below will fit a baby 3-6 months old. I made these for my sister to give to a co-worker.

I also had a pattern for a knitted baby bib. When I used it, I realized the pattern was written incorrectly and I wasn't happy with the results. I finally scrapped the pattern and decided to design my own. I used cotton yarn to make the bibs durable and easy to clean, and also to have a nice color palate from which to choose. I secured the buttons with a square knot which also got a small touch of adhesive (just to be on the safe side). These were made for my friend Yoli and her husband Spencer.

1 comment:

LVL Photography | Leda said...

Very, very cute! I want a pair of those booties! Size 31yrs old please!lol