Friday, May 16, 2008

liger t-shirt bag

I have a big bin of t-shirts that I've been saving for various projects. I have several ideas in mind, but yesterday I decided to try a tote bag. It took about four hours to make, but that's because I was making it up as I went along and had to rip out stitches at one point. I like the way it turned out, but I need to change my piecing process a bit. I saved the top stitching (that holds in the handles) for last, and I think I'm going to try again with that part first. Don't worry if my rambling on doesn't make sense to you - just know I have a plan to improve the bag for the next attempt.

I made the bag with two different t-shirts, the liger and some shirt I just thought was cool (it's probably a band). I got both a while back at the Salvation Army, the best place to get random t-shirts (just keep an eye out of stains). I used the back of each shirt to make the lining, pocket, and handles. So, other than the interfacing and thread, it's all t-shirt.

If you don't know what a liger is, please get off the computer right now and go watch the movie Napoleon Dynamite. Then you may return.


"liger: 1.) bred for skills in magic. 2.) pretty much my favorite animal"






If you look closely on the inside (see picture below), you can see where my lining bunched up on me. I think this is because the t-shirt stretches a bit, and my cutting was a little off. But I have a plan to fix this next time.

Please leave me a comment and let me know what you think. Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

morgan said...

The Liger is awsome. you are my crafting hero!

Anonymous said...

i had no idea what a liger was but i refuse to go rent a movie!:-)
the bags are very very nice. i wish i could...do something! :-)